Saturday 7 February 2015

Flicking pebbles at the pilars of Life

Life

There comes a point in time when you feel you need to make a statement. That time for me hasn't arrived. I'm quite content to float on the steaming pond of mediocrity. At sixty years of age, I feel as if I've arrived at the back gate. I can either walk through and leave the rest behind - or I can turn around and wade through the shit for another few years.

Redundant

I was made redundant for the first time in my life a few years ago. It was a relief to be honest. I embraced the chance to do something different. Not that I've been stuck in a dead end job - nope I've had my share of life changes and job and career changes around the globe. Each with its own challenge and adventure, each with its success and failures.

New Start?

So, when it happened - I took a decision to go back to college to learn how to write. yea, I hear you - we all know how to write! But I wanted to write books, stories, plays, film scripts. I knew their was a process, an art to it and so I looked at studying for a degree in Creative writing.
Last year I completed that BA course and headed to my next road. I enrolled at the New Zealand Film and Television School. My thought behind this was - if I can't find anyone interested in making my films - I'll make the bugger my self!

So it was that I completed my Film & television production course last year. It wasn't easy. Don't get me wrong, the work was interesting and exciting. The biggest challenge for me was that I was in a class with 22 other students all in their early twenties. Now if you've had kids - you know what it's like living with teens. To be stuck with them for 8 hrs. a day, five days a week over a year was excruciating. Half the time I wanted to kill them all, half the time I wanted to give them a hug. But you know, being amongst a group of creative and talented kids was great. Would I do it again? Only if someone paid me vast amounts of money.

Next

So what's happening now?. Well I have done some extra work in the buzzing Wellington film industry and I plan to film my own short soon and My first music video in March for a local Death Metal band (looking forward to that). I just need to find the money.

Life doesn't end when your 50 or 60 or 70 or even 80 or 90! Life is what you make of it. You have to grab it by the scruff of the neck - shake it about and bring it under control. I want to grow old disgracefully, I like riding my motorbike, I like getting into trouble with my grandson - I am acting my age - so don't try that one when you meet me. I'm taking life one giant leap at a time. You can join me - or stay the feck out of my way.

Peace and Love.

1 comment: